Sunday, June 17, 2007

Taking a Toddler to a Baseball Game

Friday night we went to a baseball game. It was "Mormon night" so we got tickets from church. There were a whole lot of missionaries there. A bunch of elders sitting together were shown on the big screen and all the LDS people cheered. The home team lost, but oh well.
Jaide was excited to go to a baseball game (not that she really knew what baseball was or anything). She likes going places. We tried to get there early which was a good thing since we didn't have enough cash for parking. After we found an ATM we headed back to park and walk over to the ball park. We got to our seats in plenty of time to see the first pitch and the mascot dancing all around and all that. Jaide really liked the mascot. Midway through the first inning Jaide said, "let's go home." She just wasn't that into watching them throw balls and trying to hit balls and so forth. Maybe if the mascot had been pitching...
Well we told her we couldn't leave yet. The vendors started coming around. Of course Jaide asked me what each one had and when I told her, of course she wanted whatever it was. No beer guys though, I don't know whether they're not allowed to sell beer that way anymore or if they just figured that section was mostly Mormon and didn't bother. I'm thinking it's probably more the former. I told Bob we were probably going to have to buy her something to keep her happy at some point. We, stupidly, didn't bring anything with us even though you're allowed to bring stuff (we didn't know and didn't think to find out). We did eventually buy a pretzel. The people behind us bought Jaide a cookie. Another lady in our section was selling big homemade cookies for an Eagle Scout fundraiser. Fortunately for us they weren't poisoned or anything. Nobody's sick and we all ate some of it.
We somehow made it all the way through the game. Bob took Jaide up to where one of her little friends was sitting with his dad a couple of times. Jaide also had fun playing on the chairs and clapping and cheering when everyone else did. We asked Jaide if she wanted to stay for the fireworks and she said she did. I don't know if she knew what fireworks were or not. We've been kind of bummish the last few forth of Julys just watching fireworks on TV. She seemed to enjoy the fireworks.
By the end it was about 11pm and Jaide was pretty hyper. She gets that way when she's really tired. But she did fall asleep on the ride home. Didn't stay asleep when we got home, but oh well. I was impressed at how quickly we were able to get out of the parking lot and back onto the interstate. Maybe we'll have to do it again sometime. Our next planned adventure is going up to Dutch Wonderland and the Hill Cumorah Pageant. And it will include some camping! Five years is all it's taken for me to consider camping again. Well there ya go!
We (of course) forgot to bring the camera to the ball game, so no fun pictures :(

5 comments:

Hules said...

Wow, for a minute there I started thinking you were at a game in Utah from the description. Sounds like fun! I'm so envious of Dutch Wonderland. It is my FAVORITE amusement park for little kids that we've ever been to. I would just love to take them there again-as well as back to the Hill Cumorah Pageant- Mickayla was too young to remember that one. Oh, and I suggest going to DC for fireworks... by the White house or Washington Monument. It's so beautiful.. and it's good timing before the baby comes! I always try to get in all the travel possible before the baby comes because when the baby comes life is all about the little one... Times and seasons in good reason.

Jenny said...

Camping! It took me just as long to go camping again after Field School--we just went last month. (Of course, that's if you count camping in the backyard. We did a dry run before our upcoming ward campout in August.)

Meg said...

Julia- I knew you'd appreciate Dutch Wonderland, I remember how much you guys loved it. I think we might be going to Fort McHenry this year for fireworks rather than our usual, on the couch in front of the TV. It should be cool ya know, right where the original "rockets red glare" were. But I definitely want to go to DC sometime. Last year they had Elmo! We shoulda gone!

Meg said...

Jenny- that's so funny! I wonder how many others swore off camping. I just seriously had no desire whatsoever and now I'm like ooooooh, let's buy a tent! I bet your boys will love it though.

Hules said...

Oh, we missed Elmo! We were actually there in DC- but we went a little later to skip the rain. It was nice though because the rain had scared the crowds away by the evening... but I agree with you- fireworks are pretty much the same everywhere... oh, and I have to admit we got a tent too for our wedding which we've actually never taken out of the box! Camping just seems like such a Utah thing to do... and well with babies it never sounded appealing... someday perhaps. Have fun!