Sunday, September 9, 2007

"Not Christmas!!!"

Is what I said when I read Bob's Dad's email. Bob's brother Russell is engaged and they're planning to get married "around Christmas." And I was dead serious this year about not going anywhere at Christmas time. I guess we shall see. I still might not. Here are my issues:
1. We'll have a 6 week oldish baby and they're not fun to travel with
2. Said baby will make standing outside in the cold for pictures somewhat impossible
3. I said I wasn't going anywhere for Christmas time!
4. Northern Utah is often colder than here
5. Travel around Christmas is expensive and it's always expensive to Utah
6. Traveling with Jaide isn't super fun either.
7. Bob might not have very much time off.
8. I'm going to be busy- but I guess that really depends when exactly they get married.
9. I don't want to still look pregnant in everybody's pictures.
10. Did I mention I said I wasn't going anywhere this year? (yeah kinda like last year and the year before)

Okay, so that's my rant. But here are some suggestions for Russell and Jen.
1. Wait till April, it's such nicer weather and there will be pretty flowers. Russell, you know how cold it was at Kathy's wedding! And it's much easier to find an apartment in April than in December. Just ask Kathy about her first "freezer" apartment.
2. A brand new baby will distract attention away from the bride, who should definitely be the center of attention on her wedding day. A couple of months old baby will not be as much of a novelty since family members might meet her before then.
3. Or you could get married some place warm, like Hawaii, or California, or Florida. Even St. George will probably be warmer. Bob and I think Las Vegas would actually be great. Cheap airfare, cheap hotels, and that temple is beautiful. The most beautiful Celestial room I've ever seen and I've been to quite a few temples now.
4. If you must get married in December, at least wait till after Christmas. Christmas is a Tuesday this year, just look at all those days after Christmas.

So there you have it. Congratulations though Russell and Jen! I think Kathy has been praying you guys would get engaged so we would have to come out to Utah and get to see her (at least she has been asking me about you all). But I think Kathy and Rosie will probably want to kill you if the squeakuel and I stay home and just Bob and Jaide go for your wedding.

14 comments:

Meg said...

Of course when I said, "Not Christmas!!" Bob was busy laughing his butt off since he'd already read the email.

Cindy said...

Within a few minutes of hearing the news, I thought, "Bob and Meg are not going to be too happy about the timing. They keep getting pulled out to Utah against their will for family weddings. And now they'll have a new baby as well." But I'll be sad if you and the baby don't come. Do I need to help campaign for a spring wedding?

Tracy said...

I'm with you about taking a baby out in the cold. I don't know your bro-in-law, but Vegas is a great place where everyone can just hit the buffets after the wedding. Think of the money they'll save. Hope to see you here at Christmas time!

Meg said...

Yeah, see, I knew I could convince other family members to join my campaign. Although probably not the you guys' parents. I think they're just happy when there kids want to get married. Spring or Vegas! Sounds good to me. Vegas is close enough that Kathy could drive out and visit. Party, party!

Anonymous said...

meg! what a scandalous thing to say. :) we all know long engagements stink (well, i don't, considering we weren't engaged 10 full weeks. but i remember yours). really though, i think that is great news for russell. i would be very sad if you didn't come, but i know you honestly wouldn't miss this. besides, i believe you drove a six week old jaide cross country (and this wouldn't even be driving!) if you did it for one child, you have to do it for all of them. ;)
do rusty and i need to do another research study to fund raise?
kathy

Brenda said...

I know how you feel! My bro. got married two weeks after I had a baby and we decided not to go and it was even in the summer! I am a little sad about it still, but life goes on huh?

Meg said...

Yeah, I guess we shall see what happens.

Hules said...

Oh, Meg, I totally and completely sympathize with you. I will be in the same boat. We will be moving to Utah exactly 4 weeks after our baby comes! Like you, we too drove across the U.S. to move to Maryland when Mickayla was 3 weeks old. You think we'd be smart enough not to try that monumental task again...

Hules said...

Or, they could also get married in DC like my cousin did that time you watched our girls for us. I mean, what a Beautiful Temple! & great place for a honeymoon.

rosie said...

Yeah, but they say their options are Christmas break or late June because of something Jen has to do. Do you want them to get married on your anniversary? I think that's a really long engagement...
I'll tell him after Christmas, though. He might listen to me.

atomicblob said...

How about the Olympic break?

Oh, wait, just a second . . .

That was only a one time deal? . . .
and we missed it . . .

Bob's Dad said...

I'm sorry. The latest (as of last night) I've heard is that the wedding may be on the 22nd of December.

Rosie is right. Because Jen is in the nursing program it would otherwise be late June or early July.

Christmas is an awkward time to travel. And we know you weren't going to go anywhere this Christmas. Your issues are valid ones.

Meg said...

Thanks Bob's dad. I'm glad to be validated :) I would like to go and I'd like to spend time with family but I just don't know if it will work. I guess we'll see.

mom said...

Well, if worst comes to worst and the wedding is in Utah you can always stay with me. And this year the second bedroom would be yours because no one else has requested it. And I won't have 4-5 other people staying here, and I won't have to borrow another air mattress, and I won't have to sleep in the closet, and I won't have to come close to strangling anybody trying to get the day off work! But that doesn't solve your problem, does it.