Wednesday, February 13, 2008

When it rains...

1. My house falls apart. Apparently anyway!
More water in the basement. But here's the real kick in the pants- last night as the rain/hail/freezing death was going on outside our heating system seemed to go kaput. It smelled like burning (at least we think it was that there wasn't anything actually burning), it said "emergency heat" on the thermostat, and when Bob tried to turn it back on this morning (he turned it off last night) it just buzzed. Whodda thunk a 22 (or 23) year old furnace would go kaput on a cold, nasty day?

2. The state of Maryland shuts down- almost. Are we a bunch of weather wusses or is our government just inept at handling weather response? I don't know. There was no school today (and it's just rain today, not frozen death or anything). Because there was no school today, there was no cooking class for Jaide. The word "canceled" is now a part of her lexicon (its first introduction being when our RS presidency meeting was canceled for snow and Jaide didn't get to go play with her friend Gabe whose house the meeting was at).

Well I think Jaide and I will have our own "cooking class" baking stuff to keep warm. I hate having to deal with repair people! Anyone have any advice? I feel like I have rip off stupid female written all over my face and screaming, distracting (brain power destroying) children.

5 comments:

Meg said...

Bonus Random Side Note:
When she's not screaming and/or crying, Kiree has started cooing and squealing kind of like that little dinosaur in the original Jurassic Park that spits poison. I don't however think that her plentiful spits are poisonous though.

Brenda said...

Ours goes to emergency heat when it's too cold outside to have the heat pump on. I bet yours does the same. One time ours didn't work so Bri looked inside at the circuits and one of them had blown a fuse. I don't know if it's that, but it only cost a few bucks to buy a new one compared to at least sixty bucks for someone to even "look" at your system. Try bugging your husband to open it up and take a look before you get someone out there.
I'm sorry it has to be on such a cold day and I hope it gets working soon!!!

rusty j said...

If you don't want to look bad when a repair person comes over put on some overalls, wear a hat with a pencil over your ear...oh oh and don't forget the big boots! Those are a sure sign that say, " I am prepared to waffle stomp anyone who tries to rip me off." Good luck. Oh and if you need to look them straight in the face with a lazy eye like in Fievel Goes West. Good luck!

Tracy said...

So sorry you're having heating issues. I hope it works out. I guess you can do a lot of baking to heat at least your kitchen.

homer said...

mmmmmmm, waffle stomp