Monday, April 21, 2008

Very Disturbing!

Jaide was playing the Sims this afternoon. Actually I was playing and she was watching. I had to change Kiree's diaper, so I went upstairs and Jaide took over playing. We were playing a family with our names and they even looked kind of like us. Next thing I know, Jaide comes up crying and carrying on like someone died. Someone did die- our sims. They started a fire and the Bob and Meg characters died. The Jaide character was stuck in the flames and as the grim reaper danced around. It was actually quite disturbing. I felt really bad about it. I restarted the game because for some reason Jaide still wanted to play "the family game" as she calls it. I was running my fingers through her hair and I noticed something weird. She had a big fat tick stuck to the back of her head! I got it off and commenced freaking out. I didn't know it was a tick at first but I figured it was bad. Somehow I managed to get the still living bugger into an empty baby food jar while juggling an increasingly cranky Kiree. I ended up calling the pediatricians office and they said to call again tomorrow if the rash spreads or she gets a fever. Hopefully everything will be alright!! That dumb thing is still alive crawling around that jar (which is now doubly secure in a ziplock). I don't know how long it was there (we were inside all day today, only out to church and back yesterday, and indoors most of Saturday). Yikes!
Two things struck me- 1. how protective I still am of my first baby even though she's not a baby anymore and 2. how much babies pick up on your emotions- Kiree could tell that I was upset and it made her upset too.
I asked Jaide if her head had hurt and she said no. I think she was far more upset about our virtual family's horrific demise than the parasite that had been living on the back of her head for who knows how many days. "how'd a bug get on my hair?" she said with a smile.

8 comments:

Meg said...

I was going to put a picture on this one (I looked online for pics of Sim fires and even of ticks) but they were all too disturbing. If you're really interested though, there is a pic of an engorged tick on a toddlers head on wikipedia under "tick" (The one on Jaide seemed bigger than that) There are also many funny videos of Sim fires- more funny when they don't look like our family and they're not being viewed by my 3 year old!

Meg said...

Be sure and check out the post below about our weekend adventures for something lighter and for pictures! Also, if you haven't seen the look a-like meters I did, they're kind of interesting too.

Tracy said...

ICK! The tick thing would freak me out too. I hope she's okay. The Sims game fire -- how scary for her! You need to make it so your family lives forever!

Jenni said...

Oh my!! That is just horrible about the tick - yuck!!! And the Sims game too at the same time! The characters can start fires?? That's just crazy!

Rusty & Kathy said...

meg, those are some adventures! that tick is incredibly gross. i can't believe she didn't notice it. i don't even think i know what a tick looks like. i'm kind of scared to check it out on wiki. anyway, i'm glad you got it out. it was the subject of much gross conversation at work today.

Meg said...

If a sim that doesn't know how to cook tries to cook they often set the stove on fire. When there's a fire the Sims do really dumb things because the panic. They have to "study" cooking so they don't start fires although sometimes they still do anyway. If I'd had a fire alarm in that house then the fire dept would have come, but I had just built the house and hadn't thought of it.

Hules said...

Wow, I can't believe how much your baby picture looks like Jaide!!!!

You know, I think ticks are very common in Maryland. I know quite a few people who's kids got them just from a park. All those trees I guess. I've heard they're not as dangerous as in the West.

That game would totally disturb my girls too. My daughter has been scared of fire ever since watching the barn burn down in Black Beauty. And as for something else disturbing... Avon cancelled my online order again. Hmmmm?

Meg said...

Awwwghh! Julia! Not again! Is it an address issue again? I'm sorry about that!