Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Couple Thoughts on Mother's Day

Friday night we put Kiree to bed in Jaide's room and miraculously, she stayed asleep for nine and a half hours! Jaide even managed to stay in her room until it was light outside. Maybe it helped to have the light off in Jaide's room (she always wants it on, but Kiree is used to dark).
Last night we tried it again. Sadly, Kiree woke up right when we were getting ready for bed. I couldn't get her back to sleep in the crib, so she ended up in bed with us. While I was trying to get her to sleep in the crib without waking up Jaide, and getting increasingly frustrated, last year's "Mother's day eve" was brought to my remembrance.

Like last night, last year on the Saturday night before Mother's Day we stayed up kind of late watching some dumb movie. But last year I was pregnant with Kiree and having very bad cramps/contractions. We were planning to announce the pregnancy on Mother's Day, but very late/early that night/morning we were on our way to the emergency room for the second time in as many months and I didn't know how I could still be pregnant (omitted are the gory details of the contents of the ziploc baggie I brought with me to the ER). At the ER the 4th ultrasound of the pregnancy took a very long time, the tech finally said at the end- well, there's still a heartbeat. At around 5am they finally let us go home with a sheet about threatened miscarriage.
Remembering all that, my heart softened and a sweet baby who loves me so much that she just wants to be with me most of the night didn't seem so much of a frustration.

8 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh Meg, I didn't know you went through that with Kiree's pregnancy. Wow. I went through a very similar thing with Nina's pregnancy - our girls must be little fighters to have stuck it out through crazy pregnancies. Happy mothers day to you!!

Tracy said...

I'm so glad you have this Mother's Day with your sweet girls. Have a great night's sleep.

rosie said...

Awww. We're so glad Kiree made it to us. But I hope you get a better night's sleep tonight.

Brenda said...

I too was pregnant on last year's mothers day. But, I wanted the baby out...desperately! She came a few days later (:
Hopefully she will be sleeping through the night soon!

Mahaffey Family said...

I got no sleep the night before Mother's Day too! But, I'd rather have no sleep and my baby to hold, than the other way around! Happy Mother's Day!

Hules said...

Wow, I remember that... seems like yesterday almost. What a little blessing Kiree is.

Hey, tell me who Bob's grandpa is again? It's not Welby & Aretta, right? My Mom and many of the Ricks' just attended her funeral last week. My Mom's in Bakersfield today for a Ricks wedding & I couldn't remember which of Bob's family lived there.

Rusty & Kathy said...

that is such a crazy story about kiree. i knew it was a tough pregnancy but i didn't realize it was like that. we're glad you have a kiree kiddo, too.

Meg said...

Thanks for the kind words every body. I enjoy having comments :)
Julia, Bob's grandpa is Artel. I think I had heard about that aunt passing away in one of Bob's dad's emails.