Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Reviews


I thought I'd comment on some of the things I've read, seen, and/or participated in lately.
Supersize Me- the documentary. We watched this and it was quite interesting. If you feel like you eat too much fast food and don't want to any more- this movie just might do the trick. This movie isn't just about McDonald's, it's about the whole obesity epidemic. I would recommend this movie. Random thoughts: If my high school's phys ed classes had been like the one they show at the school in Naperville, IL I might not have minded the mandatory 4 years of PE that is required in just one state in the union- my good old Illinois. I couldn't believe that McDonald's french fries left sitting out for 10 weeks showed no visible signs of spoilage whatsoever! (that was in the special features on the DVD, the big mac took a while to get all gross too, but not 10 weeks). The poor guy who made this film went from 185lbs and very healthy to 210lbs and having way high cholesterol and liver problems, not to mention being lethargic and kinda depressed. It said in the epilogue (is that what you call it on a movie when they write follow up stuff on the screen at the end?) that it took him 14 months to get back to his original weight after just one month of eating nothing but McDonald's. Also, McDonald's refers to people who eat there frequently as "heavy users." Scary stuff.

I'm still working my way through Miss Manner's big old book. It's not quite as fun as the little book since I'm not as interested in every part of it (it covers just about every bit of manners/etiquette there is) but I did learn the correct way to set a table.

This past Saturday we went to our local Six Flags park- Six Flags America (not to be confused with Great America, the Six Flags park of my youth in good old Chicagoland). It is definitely not as "Great" as Great America (at least compared to how I remember it, I haven't been in several years). But I think the big draw was the low low season pass price and the fact that the season passes can get you into any of the other Six Flags parks. This will come in handy when we travel to Chicago this summer! Bob said there seemed to be a lot of NJ plates in the parking lot. There is a Six Flags park up there and hmmm, let me take a wild guess- perhaps the season passes there are more expensive?? (yup, quick internet search confirms).
After reading up a bit online at some helpful sites (trip advisor is a good one!) I had fairly low expectations for our trip. But I think we had a pretty good time. I got to go on a real rollercoaster for the first time since, well, probably since our honeymoon! I went on the superman rollercoaster and the wooden rollercoaster (I don't remember what it was called). Bob went on a couple of different coasters, and a water ride. He had the bad luck to be waiting in line at two different rides only to have them close down while he was waiting. That is one thing people complained about about this park- the rides close down frequently, some aren't open at all (absolutely true! I guess we don't care as much since we'll probably be back and when you're a parent it's not really about you having fun at the amusement park- although I don't know if Bob got that memo). Jaide absolutely loved the little kid part of the park. She didn't care about the peeling paint or dankness of the play area or even the fact that several of the rides often had no one there to operate them. I did hear later on from some young manger guy that they were quite understaffed that day "it's prom season and a lot of people called in sick." Dirty teenagers! But I guess that what you've got to deal with- who else are you going to get to operate rides. I was a bit disappointed that the only ride Kiree could go on was the carousel and then she had to be in my lap on the sleigh thing that doesn't move. The train ride would have been another one but it was closed. On a positive note, the longest line I waited in all day was the line to get our season passes processed. It wasn't very crowded. It would have been nice to be able to go on more rides together (or any with just Bob) but hey maybe we'll get to in Chicago- hint hint!
One of the perks of getting a season pass is that we also got a book of coupons some of which are good for getting friends into the park for free. Double super bonus- there is one coupon for getting a friend in with you that's good at ANY of the parks!! The rest are all just for our local one. So, if you want to come to the park with us ;) We also got a season parking pass and it's good at other parks too :D

3 comments:

Jenni said...

I love Supersize Me - Morgan Spurlock is such a funny guy and it was so entertaining and eye-opening. I used to make myself watch it every time I had a Big Mac!!:)

Brenda said...

I really liked Supersize Me too. It was such a good reminder that we are what we eat... The biggest thing for me is how he felt so awful! I totally see a difference in my energy level when I'm eating better. If only I can always remember that!

Your six flags adventure looks fun! I can wait to go there this summer!

Rusty & Kathy said...

hmm... free six flags pass? did you know mickey's birthday is right around the trip time? i think he'd be a good candidate. :) if we ever find our way out to md we'd be happy to take some of those off your hands. then we could hold your kids while you and bob go on the rids. just some thoughts