Friday, September 19, 2008

Violet May

Last week my paternal Grandmother passed away. She was 88 years old. She was the mother of two children, Grandmother of four, and Great-grandmother of five. Tomorrow there will be a funeral for her in the Chicagoland town my parents both grew up in.

"Violet May December 25, 1937"

Here's a little bit about things I remember about my Grandmother.
Grandma Vi used to host a big old party on Christmas Eve each year. There's a picture of me as a toddler looking up her fireplace for Santa Claus. I remember that Grandma really liked ducks. Her backyard ended at a pond and she often had ducks waddle up into her yard.

Undated photo

My siblings and I loved to play with the chord organ she had in her basement. When she moved to Missouri with my aunt, she gave us the chord organ and tons of books of music. We didn't see her very much after she moved. But she always sent cards and letters, though it got harder for her to see as her health issues got worse.
I remember my freshman year of college, one Saturday morning I awoke to a phone call. It was Grandma and I really appreciated talking with her. I had a rough time that year. It meant a lot to have family to talk to on the phone.
I'm pretty sure Grandma Vi is the source of those recessive blue eye genes I've passed on to Jaide and Kiree. I got these photos from my Mom the last time I visited her. Thanks Bob for helping me scan them in.

In the back row- Marie (Dad's aunt?), Joe (my grandpa, he died in 1984 shortly before my little brother was born), Vi (my grandma). Front row Sara and Lee (my great grandparents, Grandma's parents) and that baby is my dad, Mike. So I'm guessing this picture is from Christmas time 1948?

8 comments:

Meg said...

I'll be leaving to attend the funeral this evening and won't be back until late Monday night and I'll be staying with Little Grandma (my last surviving grandparent, wow) so I won't have any internet. Kiree and I will be going but Bob and Jaide will still be here.

Cindy said...

Meg, I'm sorry about your loss.

Her smile in that first picture also reminds me a bit of Jaide.

Mahaffey Family said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm happy that your able to go out for the funeral, and that you have such good memories of your grandma!

rosie said...

I agree. She definitely has Jaide's smile.

bfeagin said...

How sad! But how lucky for you to have had a Grandma for so long and still have another one! I see alot of you in her, or vice versa.

Harmony said...

My grandma's name is Violet too! I love that name. I really like the old photos you posted. What a nice tribute.

Emily Petty said...

Meg, So sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandmother, that is always hard. What a nice tribute to her and recollection of things you love. I saw Harmony's comment and know that she got her middle name 'Violet' from her grandmother, I got my middle name 'May' from my great-grandma. We are thinking of you.

Tracy said...

What a nice post. What a great lady. So glad you have such great memories of her.