Thursday, October 23, 2008

Okay, crafty people- please advise

So the other day I got this catalog in the mail full of stuff you could buy for your kid's first birthday party. Hmm, it's like they know I've got a kid with a first birthday coming up or something. I actually saw something cute that I would like to do for Kiree's birthday. It's these cute little cupcakes. I didn't order the ducky candles from that catalog (or anything else)- I bought the candles on ebay! But here's my dilemma, I'm trying to figure out the best way to make bubbles on the cupcake so that they'll look cute, but also taste good. Also, I don't want them to gag the guest of honor who still only has four teeth and sucks most of her food. Here's what I've come up with so far and the pros and cons that I can think of.
Fondant balls- pro: would look good, may be easier than making frosting balls, cons: I don't think it tastes particularly good and I don't know how Kiree would like it.
Frosting made into little balls with a round tip- pro: tasty, easy for Kiree to eat, con: could be messy or easy to mess up/not look as good.
Some kind of spherical bubble looking candy- pro: it could taste good depending on what kind it is, it might look nice too, con: it might not exist, it might be too hard for Kiree to eat
Mini Marshmellows- pro: very easy, soft for Kiree, con: looks kinda weird.

So to wrap up a way longer than I thought it would be post---what do you think? Also, I was thinking of doing a cake and a few cupcakes, or just one cupcake for Kiree.

8 comments:

Meg said...

So in this particular version (the picture above) it looks like frosting balls, but the one from the actual catalog looked more like fondant balls. One recipe on the wilton site used different sized white gumballs. I don't really want to have to take stuff off it before I give it to Kiree though.

Jenni said...

Very cute! I'd probably do frosting balls cause it sounds easier to me, but I'm sure what ever you do will be super cute!!

Lindsy Hartsock said...

For Carter's bday I made him a small cake and did cupcakes for all the guests...just an idea :)

Emily Petty said...

It's fun to plan 1st birthday - isn't it? I think I'd do frosting - easier and Kiree can eat it - but I'm not all crafty or a baker, so my advice is probably worth nothing. Your fun weekend looks great - what a lot of activities! I can't believe Kiree is walking - Frank can, but won't. We're still waiting for him to take off.

Jenny said...

I think I'd do frosting balls--then Kiree could eat it without you having to take anything off the cake. I can't believe she's turning one already!

Meg said...

Aw, Jenny you used the yearbook picture thing for you pic, that is fun! I did my picture a while back and then saved them on the computer (so I thought). They all saved wrong and now I can't open them :(

Tracy said...

That's way too ambitious for me. I prefer to buy things like that are already made. Good luck to you!

bfeagin said...

WHAT ABOUT MINI-MARSHMALLOWS??