Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolutions are lame, but...

I'll share some goals for this year today, the day that just happens to be New Year's Day. I've heard that goals have to be specific, measurable, and written down so I think posting them will help with that.

We want to buy a bigger house in a couple of years so to do that this year (and the next few too) I'll need to
1. stick to the budget we've made and
2. either save and/or earn $50 extra each week

To do these things I will: 1.enter receipts as I get them and then stop spending when a particular category is empty. 2. try to spend less than is budgeted to get to $50 and/or sell stuff online.

I want to be more healthy so to do that I will
3. try to go to the gym at least 3X a week and if I can't get to the gym do at least an hour and a half of physical activity at home over the week.
4. focus on making sure I've eaten fruits and vegetables each day rather than trying not to eat certain foods.

To do these things I will: 3. schedule gym attendance on my weekly schedule and on home days either go for a walk, do yoga dvd, dance with the girls, or some other exercise activity and
4. make sure that I have fruits and vegetables to eat by making sure to purchase some and then keep track of them so they don't go bad before we can eat them.

I want to be more organized/keep the house cleaner so to do that I will
5. try to stick to the flylady program and
6. make sure the dining room table is cleared off so Jaide can wipe it down (she suggested this be her chore) and
7. get everyone to help clear the floor each night so that our new roomba, Wall-e, can vacuum
8. make a weekly plan each Sunday night.

To do these things I will: 5. get dressed to shoes as soon as possible in the morning, take care of the dishes each day so I can shine the sink, try to do at least one zone mission each week, and most importantly take breaks! 6. clear the table right after dinner 7.make sure we get started with enough time before bath time to get it done without super cranky kiddos and 8. talk with Bob to find out what's going on with him for the week, plan meals, and make sure to plan out all necessary activities for the week.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Good luck with all of your goals! I need to do all of those things too. You can do it!

Jenni said...

Those aren't lame goals at all!! And ooh you got a Roomba - awesome!! I need to sit down and write some specific goals like you!

Jenny said...

Great goals!

Mahaffey Family said...

Great goals! You've inspired me to sit down and write some of my own.

Smendrick said...

One thing that has really helped me stay on-budget is using cash instead of my debit card! I am pitiful at entering receipts daily, so I finally figured out how much we could afford for groceries, clothes, and other incidentals. When we deposit the paycheck, we just pull out that much cash. And when it's gone, it's gone!

I wish you the best of luck with all your resolutions. I'm impressed with your planning. I have a few vague ideas in mind, but you have inspired me to write them down and plan how to achieve them!