Sunday, March 8, 2009

Call and Release

Last Sunday our ward Relief Society presidency was reorganized, so I was released from my calling as the second counselor. I was told it might be a while before I got another calling. However, on Thursday night Bob was at church and a member of the bishopric asked him if both of us could come in early on Sunday to talk about a calling for me. I just knew I'd end up in primary. I'm going to be teaching the kids who are turning 10 this year. I've never taught kids that old before. If I'm still teaching this age group next year, it will be the third time that I've taught kids born in the year 2000. Pretty crazy!
Today however I was subbing for the sunbeams' teacher. I really should have said no. Bob was doing the audit for the ward financial stuff the second and third hours and did I mention he also had to give a talk in sacrament meeting? Yes, I was going to be alone with the kids all day. Well, except for when Jaide went to her primary class, she's not in sunbeams any more. Kiree was excited to go to sharing time but as soon as she noticed where Jaide was sitting (across the room from where she and I were supposed to be) she wanted to go by Jaide. Kiree did quite a bit of wandering around. Then when we went to class, the sunbeams all took off without me and so did Kiree. I was so worried about making sure I had all of the sunbeams that I didn't notice that I didn't have Kiree. Apparently she decided to make a run for the border and I think the ladies that grabbed her did so as she was actually leaving the building after hitting the handicapped door opener button. I can't believe that I forgot my own child! But I am so glad that she was okay. One of the very wonderful older ladies offered to take Kiree while I "taught" (7 three year olds- not so much learning going on). She even changed Kiree's poopy diaper and then took her in to nursery. In our ward you can go to nursery at 16mo if an adult stays with you. So Kiree had her first day of primary, nursery, and trying to escape church all in one day.

7 comments:

Meg said...

Okay, one last thing I have to say in my defense, for the last 8 or so months that I was a counselor in RS, Bob has been the one watching Kiree during the 3rd hour, so I'm really not used to having her with me especially when I'm teaching. And Bob will be watching her again from now on- well for 7 more Sunday until she is officially in nursery (not that we're counting down or anything...)

kathy said...

What an adventure Meg! I can't believe Kiree just ran off. Your little girls sure like to escape. Ok, so maybe any little kid likes to escape. It always stinks in the Nursery when one of the kids figures out how to open the door with the child knob thing on it. Good luck with the 10 yr. olds. Rusty just got called to be the varsity coach yesterday. (I thought that had something to do with basketball.)

Brenda said...

Raegan runs around the building, but has never tried to escape! That's too funny... glad you found her.
I also subbed in Sunbeams yesterday. It made me grateful I'm not a regular. Good luck with your new calling!

BrookieT said...

Really? I thought it was only 2 weeks before they turned 18 months. Maybe I got it mixed up. It amazing to see how much more complicated it gets to fulfill callings with children, isn't it? It makes you appreciate your husbands more- at least it does me.

Jenni said...

I can't believe she was actually heading out the door! Wow. As a sunbeam teacher though I completely sympathize because as hard as I try I cannot seem to get the kids to walk together to our classroom, I always end up chasing after a few heading the wrong way. Good luck in your new calling!!

Emily Petty said...

Wow - crazy Maryland weather and crazy little Kiree. Isn't church fun with our little ones being 16-17 months?!

Meg said...

Yeah Aaron is a little older than Kiree, but they'll be together in nursery and eventually sunbeams and all. May 8th is the big day when Kiree will be 18 months. I seriously need to build a ticker or countdown or something for the blog.