Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Trip to Utah

I got back on Tuesday from my week long trip to Utah to help my sister with her new baby. I'm sorry that I didn't really get to visit anybody. I never even made it down to BYU. But I came to help and help I did and that made it worth it to leave my babies and my babe for a little while (but I sure did miss them)
flying solo
It was weird to fly without children and to be all by myself. I hadn't flown alone since 2003. It was also weird to not be so frequently interrupted when I was trying to do stuff. I did enjoy having some quiet time when everyone was asleep to read scriptures, stretch, and check my email.
bebe
It was great to spend time with Kathy and Rusty and my little nephew Asher. Kathy and I got to chat quite a bit and even got to venture out a couple of times to run some errands. Asher is a little sweetie. Even though we had some quite messy diaper changes, he never got me! I was sad to leave the little guy the night before I left when I stayed the night at my mom's.
familia
My little grandma also came out to visit while I was out. It was good to see her. I hadn't seen her since last September. I got to see Bob's siblings who live in Utah when they dropped by Kathy's place on Sunday. We played pass the pigs and the super fun game.
ikea
On my last night in Utah, mom, grandma, and I stopped at Ikea. Mom wanted to get a buffet but wasn't sure she could get it home. The high cost of delivery tipped the scales in favor of bringing it home in the car. The heavy box could be opened once we arrived home and pieces could be brought in individually. I got to be helpful one last time after we went out for dinner. Mom and I put the buffet together. One piece of one drawer was broken, so that part will have to be replaced at Ikea, but otherwise we finished the job.
home again
The cruddy little mini computer I brought along with me decided that it didn't want to get along with its battery any more. So I had no little notebook to play games on on the flight home. But luckily I flew delta home and the plane had little mini TVs in the seat backs. It had free TV shows on it during the flight. If I'd had a headset I could have listened too (yes, I'm too cheap to pay the $2) but watching design shows on HGTV doesn't really require sound to be enjoyable. The little TV also let you watch the progress of the plane across a little satellite picture. That is a fun feature. I was very excited to see Bob and the girls again. I pictured in my mind them waiting at security for me to come out. It didn't quite work that way. I had to call Bob to find out where they were. They were at the play area of course. Kiree looked so big! I think we were all happy I was home.
postscript
For the last few days I've been trying to catch up on laundry, dishes, and all the commitments I forgot I'd made for right after I got home. And Kiree has been sick, a little throwing up and fever. We went to the doctor today and it appears to be a sore throat (but it's not strep -thank goodness!) So I've had a lot of snuggle time with my little Kiree. Here's hoping she gets better fast!

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Congrats to your sister! That's awesome that you were able to go help her. I love the name Asher! I totally agree that flying alone is SO different from flying with kids. Hope Kiree feels better soon!

Emily Petty said...

How to great to have a trip alone, although I agree that it'd probably be a bit weird, sad too. I love your girlies' Easter pics - they are too cute!

janae said...

Yeah, I thought it was super strange to see Bob alone at the ward activity! Jaide was super cute singer her song. I loved it! :)