Sunday, July 26, 2009

Anatomy of a Scooby Doo Pirate Mystery Birthday Party

I wanted to write down what all I did for Jaide's birthday party, so feel free to skip, skim, or read.

Jaide wanted to have a Mystery Inc./ Scooby Doo birthday party. I took some ideas from the internet and made up a few of my own.
Invite: I used a 60's looking evite pattern and added a picture of the Mystery Inc gang. I wrote,
Calling all meddling kids! Come join us at Jaide's mysterious 5th birthday party. Help Scooby and the Mystery Inc. gang solve the mystery. We will have some of Scooby and Shaggy's favorite foods for lunch since we can't solve a mystery on an empty stomach! We'll play games, look for clues, and have birthday cake.

At the party we had banners and color pages (google Scooby Doo Coloring pages) on the wall to color as kids arrived. We also played a Scooby Doo video so everyone would be somewhat familiar with Scooby Doo if they weren't already. Then we had lunch.
Food: We had mini pizzas (Bob used Halloween cookie cutters to make them spooky shaped), mini burgers, and chicken nuggets. We also had baby carrots, pretzels, and Scooby Snacks (dog bone shaped graham crackers).
After lunch we played a few games: Wrap the mummy with crepe paper. Every one wanted to be wrapped up, but then didn't like being wrapped up once they were. We also played tag for a bit and let the kids run around with trailing crepe paper.
After the games we went inside 'for cake' except the cake was gone. That was the start of our mystery.
Mystery: The Silly Pirate was our villan. He stole the cake, but left a clue that mentioned his friend Pinata Pete. We all went outside to hit the pirate pinata we had filled with candy and the next clue. The next clue led to "Pirate Bay" which was set up in the girls' bedroom. The kids found a treasure chest that had the next clue. It led to the "Spooky Basement" which had balloon 'ghosts' that the kids had to pop to find the next clue. The last clue was a note from the Mystery Inc. gang. It said it was time to set a trap, but that first we had to feed Scooby and Shaggy so that they would agree to be bait for the villan. We went to the living room and played the bean bag toss game that I had made (the bean bags had clip art pictures of different kinds of food on them). Then we left Shaggy and Scooby as bait and hid under a big white sheet. When the Silly Pirate (aka daddy) came into the living room and went after Shaggy and Scooby, all of us threw the sheet over him. Then we unmasked him and he told us where the cake was (in the refridgerator!)
Lastly, we had cake. I used two loaf pans to try to make a 3D mystery machine. I used Oreos for the tires and the spare in the front. I'm not a very good artist in the medium of frosting, so I printed out some stuff on cardstock to stick on the cake. I got a Scooby Doo cake topper set, from which I used the candy letters, tags, and peace signs. We also found a Scooby Doo candle on clearance at the grocery store.
Goody Bags: I used clear cello bags I already had for goody bags. I printed out small Mystery Inc color pages on which I'd typed "A goody bag for you from Scooby Doo!" to put inside the bags. I got mini key chain flashlights, little plastic magnifying glasses, Scooby Doo stickers, and 'tie dye' slap bracelets from Oriental Trading Company. I also added a pouch of Scooby Doo fruit snacks to each bag. I used the slap bracelets to close up the bags.

What I had wanted to do, but didn't: I wanted to have a find Velma's glasses game. Velma always loses her glasses and can't see to find them. We probably should have done that in Pirate Bay, since we didn't have a game at that stop in the mystery. I thought of using a random old pair of glasses, but I think finding some big, black, toy, plastic glasses to hide would have been better.
I wanted to make Pirate Bay out in the back yard with a teeny blow up pool (that ended up empty in the girls room) and a bunch of play sand but the weather reports kept saying high chance of thunderstorms that day. Fortunately it didn't actually rain, so we at least played some games and did the pinata outside!

I drew the Scooby and Shaggy bean bag toss based partly on a coloring book page
Visit thecsiproject.com

4 comments:

Rosalind said...

Wow! That is SO cool!

kathy said...

that is such a good idea. i love the pictures. how nice that everything turned out so well!

Jenny said...

Cute party!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.