Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Christmas Meme

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate?

Definitely hot chocolate!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Chicago Santa never did but apparently California Santa did, so I guess we'll see what Maryland Santa ends up sticking with, he's done both so far.

3. Colored lights on the tree/house or white?

both! The prelit tree has white lights (we both had colored before and would still but that one ended up being free). We have white lights outside in areas where snow would be and colored lights in the windows.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

nope

5. When do you put your Christmas decorations up?

The day after Thanksgiving. Some things a little later, but mostly the day after Thanksgiving.

6. Favorite holiday dish?

Cookies and any other yummy stuff. We don't have specific food traditions for Christmas, just whatever yummy food sounds good and that we don't eat very often.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?

Taking over the holiday decorating myself and with help from my younger siblings.

8. When did you learn the truth about Santa?

When I found all the boxes for all our Santa presents from like a decade's worth of presents down in the basement. Mom and Dad, were you waiting for recycling to be invented? What was up with that? I don't remember how old I was.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Sometimes we have, but not usually. Our traditions have been pretty fluid.

10. How do you decorate a tree?

Prelit tree- so no messing with lights. Put on all the ornaments we own (I have a collection of smore ornaments that is growing slowly each year, red and gold glass ornaments- 60 cents after Christmas!, and a mismash of things people gave us, some we made like kiddos hand prints, and some I got from Avon- love the santa clothesline garland). Star on top.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?

I do enjoy snow but not ice and bitter cold.

12. Can you ice skate?

Not super great but sure.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

The first thing that came to mind is one I got last year- the roomba. We use it just about every day! I also really loved the picture album my grandma sent me with pictures of me as a baby up through a few years ago.

14. What is the most important thing about the holidays to you?

Being with my family and remembering the Savior.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Watching the black and white version of A Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve

17. What tops your tree?

A gold glittery star

18. Which do you prefer-Giving or Receiving?

Giving. I like receiving too, but giving more.

19. Favorite Christmas song?

Angels we have heard on high. Love singing the alto part!

20. Candy Canes-Yuck or Yum?

Candy canes are only yummy before Christmas when you're not supposed to eat them. So when I do have candy canes I let the kids eat them before Christmas. I bought a set of plastic ones a couple years ago so I don't have to deal with real ones though. Maybe we'll have some again in the future.

21. Favorite Christmas show?

I'm not super into Christmas movies, but my mom and Kathy always liked to watch them. I haven't seen any lately (besides Dora's Christmas Carol) and it seems like I should so it can officially feel like Christmas. I do like the one I mentioned previously#16. I also like White Christmas, Scrooged, the Charlie Brown Christmas movie, and It's A Wonderful Life. I should find out when that one's going to be on!

22. Saddest Christmas song?

I'm not super into Christmas songs either. My sister really liked Christmas songs when we were younger- do you still? Probably more spiritual songs would bring tears to my eyes. Having to listen to sappy Christmas songs on the radio makes me sad because they are so bad. Celine Dion Christmas songs make me mad (one Christmastime her Christmas CD was on constant play at the office I was working on, blech!)

3 comments:

kathy said...

Sorry Meg, you've missed It's a Wonderful Life (at least once) this season. I don't know if it will be on again. That was fun to read. Maybe I'll do it too and then you can find out if I'm still into the Christmas movies and music.

Jenni said...

That roomba sounds awesome! Someday I want to get one too! The way you found out about Santa is pretty funny!

Mom said...

The empty boxes were in your father's "ham shack" and he was supposed to throw them out after I assembled everything.