Monday, June 7, 2010

Memorial Day and Others


We had a fun Memorial Day. We went to Ikea for free breakfast and purchased a couple of small things. Then we went to the waterpark at Six Flags. It was hopping! We got to go on more rides with Jaide this year than we did the last time we had passes. Kiree can't go on much yet, but there are some fun water areas for her to play in too.
I had a flashback while we were in the kiddie area. Kiree climbed up into this play slide in the kiddie area and then got too scared to go down the water slide. When Jaide was little, she longed desperately to go up in every fast food play place we went to. But alas, she was too scared to scale the heights. (I don't blame her though, seriously, those things are high up off the ground. Back in my day we had low to the ground play things made of metal) Her fears of course, didn't fully materialize until she was stuck a couple of levels up into the thing. I had to rely on bigger kids and a shorter, more lithe mom or two to retrieve her more often than I'd like to admit. At least for Kiree stuck in the water slide thing, I could summon Jaide to help her out. Kiree was so freaked out though that Jaide had to physically pick her up and put her in her lap to go down the slide.
Jaide had her own chance to freak out when we went down one of the bigger slides. Instead of just putting her feet down in the water at the bottom, which was well below her neck, she tried frantically to swim and then just freaked out in flailing, sobbing, frenzy until I scooped her up. Sadly, I was frustrated and turned into "ugly mom." We didn't take another opportunity to go down that slide. Maybe next time.
In spite of the small freakouts, we had a pretty good time overall. We were ready to go after a few hours (the park was getting more and more crowded, they started filling parts of the parking lot I didn't even realize exsisted).
Then we headed home to barbeque. We invited some friends over to eat with us and afterward we played Monopoly Deal which was fun. I made funnel cakes for dessert.
I forgot to mention that on the Saturday before we bought a new fridge from Sears. It was on sale, rebate for delivery, $100 rebate for being very energy efficient, and I used $110 in gift cards I earned on mypoints for it. Plus it's a pretty inexpensive fridge to begin with. So I'm happy. It's a plain old white one and it'll be delivered next week.
After being confused all week as to what day it was, we made it to this past weekend. Some of the highlights of the week included going to the Kids Workshop at Home Depot on Saturday, working on making slipcovers with Bob, murdering a wasp family and poisoning their home, finding a tick on Jaide before it had a chance to dig in and feast on her blood, buying more food storage, searching for Jaide's school library book so we don't have to buy it (still searching), Jaide attending her friend's birthday party and swimming in the bay, Bob participating in our friend's baby blessing, feeding the elders, getting clogged up plumbing working again, seeing for myself that there aren't any roots in our sewer line, field day at Jaide's school, and holding two little babies that aren't mine.
This week we have Jaide's second to last full week of school (her last day isn't until the 23rd (remember all that snow?) but there's no more homework. I get to volunteer in Jaide's class on Tuesday during reading time and Kiree and I will be helping out on Friday for the summer birthdays celebration. Bob is going to volunteer during math next week and then the last Monday of school we'll all go to the kindergarten picnic. Hard to believe kindergarten is almost over.

4 comments:

Meg said...

About the wasp thing... I almost felt bad, but it was protective mom vs. protective mom and I was going to win. I was fine with one wasp and a little wasp nest in the storage shed outside, but then the little wasps started hatching and the parent(s) were getting very agitated any time we got near the shed. But it's our shed, darn it! I needed to get stuff in and out of there and I needed to keep my little ones that like to play out there safe. So there you go

Hules said...

That photo is so cute!

Jenni said...

You have been busy!! Oh how I miss Ikea! Happy news about your new fridge! I understand it being hard to believe that kindergarten is over. My Ben just finished with K too. They grow so quickly!

Hules said...

Oh, and her sandbox in that photo is brilliant. Who would've thought it could be simple as a Tupperware box!

I also left a comment specifically to you on my reading video blog. Just scroll down below all the new photos.