Sunday, August 29, 2010

College Buddies

My friends and I are getting to be hitting that milestone age of 30 these days. My friend from college, Amber, hit this milestone earlier this month. To celebrate, she wanted to take a trip to Chicago to visit Nancy (our other college friend, and for me a high school friend as well). She invited me to join them and so I drove out with the girls. I'm really happy I went because it was incredibly fun. I really do miss Chicago (I grew up there) and loved spending time there, hanging out with Amber and Nancy, and showing the girls places from my childhood and youth. We stayed with my dad and the girls got to know him a little better. I'm really glad I went, but I don't think I will ever drive that far alone with the girls again. It was rough. I broke my perfect streak of never getting pulled over on the way out. Don't speed in Ohio people! They are serious about speed limits and the revenues, er fines they can generate.
But the time in Chicago was a lot of fun.
Jaide was very excited to see the hall of Jade at the Field Museum.
We went to the Lincoln Park Zoo (my first job), the Field Museum of Natural History (we used to go practically every Saturday when I was a kid and then we became volunteers there when I was a teen), the Chicago Children's Museum at Navy Pier, and the Art Institute. Transformers 3 is being filmed downtown and we got to see some of that hoopla. We ate delicious deep dish pizza at Giordanos. We drove to my old neighborhood and saw my elementary school and our old house.
A bronze cow given to the people of Chicago commemorating the cow art exhibit around the city the summer I graduated highschool.
The kids were sad to leave. We sure did cram a lot of living into a Monday night through a Friday morning. The trip home featured far fewer run-ins with the law although we did have one small detour in Pennsylvania due to my misunderstanding the GPS. It only added 30 minutes to our driving time and gave us a lovely tour of rural PA in the dark! We got to see deer run right in front of the car! When I saw the time until destination increase by a half hour I wanted to cry but I knew it would do no good, so I didn't. I sure was glad to be home when we got there and I felt like I was still moving inside the house. I'd never had that feeling from driving before. But I sure did gain a better appreciation for Bob, as he is usually the main (often only) driver on our long car trips. It sure is a pain in the butt (and back, and legs, and well, pretty much everything) to drive that long continuously.
Here are some more photos from the trip, now with captions!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I really wish I could have gone. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

It ended up being a very good thing I didn't go, though. My co-clerk went on vacation that week, and then on Wednesday morning the judge's judicial assistant got in a bad accident. She's still in the hospital, in fact. And the judge was in the office with about 100 things he needed to get done and no idea how to do them. So, on top of all of the legal work that I'd been worried about leaving, I ended up having a million administrative tasks to do as well. I really don't know what the judge would have done if I'd been on vacation.

I guess it's a good thing I listened to the responsible voice inside of me that said I'd better not go.

Meg said...

I guess it's a good thing then. We sure did miss you though.

kathy said...

I was sad to miss it too, but it worked out for the best for me not to go, either. And thanks for the picture of Dad. I was wondering what he looked like these days, too.
I'm happy you guys had fun.

Hules said...

Looks like so much fun! Great pics! Man, I realized I needed to come back to the blogging world & create more posts today... After my excursion to FB.