Saturday, November 27, 2010

And Now We Shop

I started my Thanksgiving times shopping Thanksgiving night at Michaels. I was on a mission to get a bunch of baskets for my Ikea bookcases. Thanksgiving/Black Friday seems to be the only time they are on sale while there is also a %off sale priced stuff coupon. It took like four visits to three different stores over two days, but I managed to buy 7 matching baskets (matching 2 I already had) for cheap. Woo hoo!

Later on Thanksgiving night I headed out to Toys r us with my friend Danelle. The store opened at 10. We got there about 10 minutes early. There was a looooong line. It took us over an hour to even get into the store. I guess it's good they didn't cram the place full. When we finally left, there was no more line. Sadly, I was wearing my boots instead of my sneakers and my feet hurt for two days afterward. But it wasn't all hassle. We both got what we were looking for. It was great to have a buddy at the store. One could man the shopping cart, or wait in line while the other gathered stuff or had a potty break. For the most part people were all very nice. We even saw some people from the ward. We didn't get back until like 1:30am. I didn't get to bed until like 3am.

On Friday, I was so tired I slept until 9:30. Then I rolled into some clothes and headed to Target. It was too late. Even the stuff I thought surely would still be there was gone. But they did have similar stuff that was way more expensive right near where the cheap stuff would be. Target landed on my naughty list on Friday, but it didn't last long. I guess they've built up sufficient good will with me that it covered it apparently.
After another Michaels run, I tried to go to the Children's Place outlet at the mall. There wasn't a single parking space! I wisely left and went home.
At some point we got out the Christmas decorations and put up the Christmas tree. I was tired all day.

Saturday was my Grandma's birthday. I called and wished her a happy birthday. We also shopped some more. A little online. A little more Michaels. Kiree and I shopped. Jaide and Bob shopped. Christmas presents for one another were purchased and secretively wrapped. Kiree and I scored several awesome kids books at the Goodwill (3 for $1!). I also bought some solar powered led Christmas lights to use outside. I was pleasantly surprised to find they were 20% off this weekend only! They're not as bright as we're used to, but at least we don't have to run cords through a cracked open window throughout December! We put up said lights and more of the Christmas stuff. Bob ran out in the evening to exchange one of the light things that was messed up. I put up regular old lights inside the windows.
And today is Sunday, the day of rest from shopping and decorating.

I'm sure I'll be checking out the deals online on Monday though.
But, hopefully, I'll have all my Christmas shopping done before December 1st. First time ever!

2 comments:

atomicbob said...

biggest shopping weekend ever (at least for us). maybe we should get some more sleep

BrookieT said...

I braved black friday last year, I guess because I was all alone I didn't feel like it this year. I usually went with my mom in the olden days. :) Plus I felt nothing on sale was worth my time and sleep deprivation. Someone told me they got everything online last year on black friday, so I tried the same thing. Good old walmart! Got free shipping and the item was in stock. Same with best buy! And I got to sleep in! woo hoo!