Sunday, November 21, 2010

oh yeah!

... is something my 20 month old niece likes to say, apparently. We got to hear it quite a few times lately.
Last week my niece and her parents
(Bob's sister Emily and her husband Travis) came down for a visit.
Travis had a conference in DC and the girls tagged along.
We were glad they could come because the girls love their cousin Alyssa!
And we were glad Emily could come despite being very pregnant (one morning Kiree asked Emily why her tummy was so bumpy). We had a fun time visiting and taking a few fun outings.
The Tramily Family arrived Sunday afternoon and the girls soon got to work playing and orchestrating a "costume party."
Monday morning Travis headed down to DC where he stayed for his conference.
After getting Jaide on the bus and everyone dressed and ready to go, Kiree, Emily, Alyssa, and I headed over to Patapsco to play at the playground, take a little hike, and eat a picnic lunch.
Our hike took a bit longer than I'd expected because I'd kind of forgotten the distance and Alyssa wanted to walk pretty much the whole time.
We got our exercise in that day, walking from the swinging bridge to the Lost Lake and back.
Nearly everyone took a nap when we got back home.
Tuesday was rainy, so we hung out at home.
We made sugar cookies and decorated them when Jaide got home from school.
On Wednesday, the power had gone out overnight which resulted in lots of things beeping in the basement (sorry Emily!) and the aquarium filter ceasing to work.
We all took a little field trip to the pet store that used to be in the mall, but which is now by Costco. I thought the kids would enjoy seeing all the pet store animals. I bought a new filter and didn't realize until I'd already started putting it together that afternoon that at some point, the old one had finally kicked back on. I'm still going to replace it when we run out of it's filter cartridges though.
After the pet store we headed over to another local playground. We brought beach towels to dry any leftover rain from the slides. It was a nice day, but it was very windy. We had the place to ourselves. The girls ran and laughed and played for a long time.
In the evenings, we chatted and played games. One night we let Jaide stay up to play Clue with us. She was quite tired the next day.
On Thursday we drove down to the National Zoo. Travis met up with us since his conference was pretty much over. We got to see several things that I'd never seen before, even though we've been there a few times.

This is the only picture my dumb camera managed to take at the zoo! And I managed not to get either of the girls who were both standing right there.

The elephants were back, and I don't know how I managed to miss the zebras, cheetah, tigers, lion, and gazelles every other time I've been there. When we were finished at the zoo, I dropped the Tramilies off at a metro stop since they were all staying in DC the rest of the week.
I was really glad that Bob could come home early since we didn't get back in time to meet Jaide's bus.
Jaide had been very sad about Alyssa leaving on Thursday. She was somewhat comforted when I told her we could go down and meet them for dinner on Friday.
That's what we ended up doing.
With a little bit of trouble, we all managed to meet up at a Five Guys burger place in DC (near Gallaudet University of all places).
But we enjoyed getting to spend a little more time with them before they left.
We'll have to go visit them up in Boston some time, maybe for spring break.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Cute! I'm not sure what Alyssa's costume is, but it's great. (A very fashionable witch, maybe?)

It's fun that you guys live close enough that the cousins can see each other every once in a while.

Meg said...

Hey Cindy, I hope you guys have a fun and safe trip to India!

BrookieT said...

Sounds like a fun time! It's funny, we never go places unless people are visiting from out of town...