Sunday, January 9, 2011
We decided to hold our 3rd annual Christmas Closing Ceremonies this past Friday evening. I was ready to put the Christmas stuff away. We said goodbye to our free after giftcard artificial tree which had faithfully, though increasingly sheddingly, served us these past six! Christmases. Has it really been six Christmases in this house? Yes, I counted on my fingers, it has. Most of the prelit tree light sets no longer worked and that along with the shedding and the general getting rid of stuff before we sell our house made it time for it to go. Bob took it to a recycling drop off at the dump. I didn't get a whole lot of pictures this year. We were busy trying to make new packing configurations for the Christmas stuff. I bought some red and green plastic bins at Target to replace the falling apart cardboard boxes we had been using previously. Those boxes had also gotten seriously infested with those ugly little hibernating stink bugs that are taking over the midatlantic. When we got the Christmas stuff down everything smelled like stink bug for days!
We found that the one box that we had taped completely shut was bug free, so that's what we did with everything this year. Any cardboard boxes (we were also packing up other stuff this weekend to store in the attic) got taped completely. The plastic bins got their lids taped all around.
The girls had a lot of fun playing with the Christmas stuff before it got packed. I had to ask them several times not to play with our big outdoor nativity though since baby Jesus has had to have his head crazy glued back on three times now already! That evening after stacking our Christmas boxes and trying to vacuum up all the tree droppings, we enjoyed some hot coca.
On Saturday Bob took boxes up to the attic. We also moved a lot of stuff around. We're getting ready to pull up the carpet in the living room and replace it ourselves with laminate. It's going to be a big job. The kids think it's kind of weird to have stuff moved around, but they're really liking all the empty space in the living/dining room. We temporarily have an eat in kitchen. I'm still not certain where the fish tank will go.
The past two weeks I've been working on the stairs to the basement. I removed the carpet since there won't be carpet on either end of the stairs when we're all done. Bob and I worked hard to sand and prepare the steps for staining. I've already stained every other step and we'll see how it goes with the others sometime this week, after we've moved what furniture we need to into the basement.