Sunday, January 30, 2011

Snow Days


This past week we had our first significant snow of the season. School was cancelled on Wednesday since it was supposed to start snowing in the afternoon. It started snowing around 4 or so and didn't stop until Thursday. There was a little bit of snow Wednesday morning, but we didn't go out, we were waiting for the big snow. That's why we ended up going out in the dark while it was still snowing Wednesday night (that and because it's easier to get everyone ready and go out when Bob is home). So Wednesday morning the girls and I went through their room and got it cleaned and organized. We had a box for donations, a box of stuff to pack up and put in the attic, and the trusty old trash can. The girls weren't super excited about working for as long as we did, but the payoffs in finding "lost" toy treasures and in the end having so much room to run around in made it worth it for them. I was surprised at how long the girls wanted to stay out in the snow Wednesday night. Usually Kiree is asking to go in for hot cocoa after like a minute, but I guess making their first ever snowmen was a big enough draw for staying out.
On Thursday morning, Bob and the girls went to our nearby friend's house and shoveled out their driveway. It was another day off of school.
The girls played with their little girl and then everybody came over for some sledding behind our house. I ended up watching their friend while her mom went grocery shopping and then she watched all the girls while I went shopping (we had both meant to go shopping before the snow but didn't make it). The girls enjoyed playing most of the day with their friend. The roads were pretty clear by that point and it hadn't snowed in quite a while so activity days was still on. We had a good turnout despite the snow.
Friday there was school, but it was delayed two hours. So at this point, the last day of school will be June 21st (unless there are more snow days). It's kind of lame. I wish we could make up the days sooner by having fewer random days off between now and then, but nobody asked me.
As much fun as snow days can be, I'm kind of hoping for an early spring since I like having Jaide home in summer and it's a lot easier to paint and stuff when it's not too cold to open the window. That and I like spring and dislike being cold.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I like your snowman's accessories. Looks like fun.

Julia said...

I like the lost toy treasure idea. It's about that time for us. Too many toys. Plus, I agree... Bring on spring!

Anonymous said...

I dont know what to say. This web site is amazing. Thats not truly a actually substantial statement, but its all I could come up with soon after reading this. You know a great deal about this subject. Much making sure that you produced me wish to understand additional about it. Your web site is my stepping stone, my buddy. Many thanks for that heads up on this theme.