Sunday, February 27, 2011

Just like the last post, but with new pictures!

Hard work continues. I've been slacking a bit in the picture documenting department, but I took a few pictures today to show you where we're at. Please hurry 'after'!

Well one before and after I have for you today. The railing. I used Restore-a-finish and it looks much better now with minimal effort on my part. Hooray! Done and done.
It snowed Monday night/Tuesday morning so school was canceled. Bob's work was closed too so Bob even stayed home. We got to do more hard work together. Neither of us can remember what exactly we did. We didn't play in the snow, this 'snow man' is made of used painter's tape. Bob bought a bunch of painter's tape at ace hardware (because we got a rewards gift certificate for there) and we've been using it!
So what have we accomplished? Well, we bought some stuff we needed. We ate two "free" meals at Ikea. We finished painting the big bedroom and are one coat away from finishing painting the bathroom. We put the big mirror back up on the wall in the big room and it was much harder than it seemed like it would be. We've patched, primed, painted, packed, (I've run out of p words). We ripped out the caulk in the bathtub, did a major clean up job of it and I recaulked last night. I also caulked up the trim the previous owners had put around the bathtub surround. Silly previous owners! You don't just nail up trim and call it done! Caulk is what makes it look good, like it's supposed to be there!
Here's the state of the bathroom right now. Should be finished tomorrow.
Spider man was here. Thanks Spidey for keeping that light fixture out of paint's way!

This next one has a couple of things we've done all in one. First, there's the fallen tree branch from the backyard. I'm making it bloom like I've seen in magazines! It's going to be awesome! It's already starting to open. Also, you might notice the painted cabinet, all finished painting (except for touching up where we scratched it getting the stupid top shelf in). There's also boxes of stuff we've bought but haven't put together yet, The orange bucket and wipe container under it are full of crayons we unwrapped for the next Activity Day at church (I had to pay Jaide $2 to do most of it for me. Bob was smart and told her to soak the papers off). Then there's the table itself. An Ikea hack! I bought a butcher block counter top. We used the table saw to take 5" off it the long way. Bob sanded (thanks Bob!) and also drilled holes for the adjustable table legs. Soon that neat little counter/table is going to have two cute little stools (also in boxes, waiting to be assembled) under it. The white wire part in the foreground is the top of a birdcage I spray painted white (it was forest green when I bought it at a yard sale a couple of years ago and also as it sat collecting dust in the utility room the last few years). If you ask Kiree (or maybe she'll just tell you) it's going to be a deh-coe-ray-shun. And then she might ask you several times why it's called a bird cage.
I also sewed some pillow covers out of napkins (3 in middle) and some pillows out of fabric (3 front and left). I also bought a bunch of premade ones(far right) on clearance at Target this week ($3.24 a piece!). The sewing machine went kaput before I could finish the cover not pictured, but after I cleaned and oiled it, it worked again! Hooray!
I had fun with spray paint
and paint stripper (and will have to have fun with paint or something again very soon to cover that ugly).

I'm really sorry if that picture shows up sideways (I changed it once and I don't know what to do to make it stay)
Next up, moving the furniture around. Big bed in the big room, bunk beds in the little room. I can't wait to show the after pictures. Mainly because then it will be after all the hard work!


3 comments:

Rosie said...

I love the new design! Good luck with all your projects.

Fronica said...

looks like you are keeping plenty busy! I can't believe how old the girls are already. Very cute, they are :) Wow! Time flies. I hope all your projects continue to go well.

Jenny said...

My banister needs a new finish. I've never heard of restore-a-finish. Can you buy it at Lowes?