Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer Doings

Summer is almost over.  Isn't it crazy?  Maybe I should be relieved.  I'm not sure that I did most of the fun things I had planned to do with the kids, but I think they still had fun.
A lot of my summer could be summed up with this visual illustration.
Yup, that about sums it up.
Being homeless this past week and a half has been a bit of a slower pace, but I think that illustration will be applicable again before the end of this week.  So I'd better blog about the fun things we did this summer before I find myself in the month of November or something.

Summer
I already blogged about our trip to California.  It was Jaide's birthday not too long after we got back.  With the general craziness and uncertainty of trying to sell a house, (and the fact I sort of thought we'd be in a new house by Jaide's birthday) we decided not to have a party this year and to go to Dutch Wonderland instead.  It was insanely hot that day.  The girls went on the fun slide a couple of times and then we just spent the rest of the day at the water area of the park.  Seeing a Pizza Hut right across from the park (and maybe also because she was pretty hungry and didn't want to wait for the drive to Chick-fil-A?) Jaide decided she wanted Pizza Hut for her birthday dinner.  We gave Jaide a Scooby Doo board game that is sort of like Mouse Trap or 13 Dead End Drive.  It's been a big hit with kids.




We went camping at the end of July to Pocomoke River State park.  It's about half an hour away from Assateague Island.  We stayed for two nights and I think we all enjoyed that length of camping trip.  Bob asked the girls if they wanted to go camping again and Jaide said, "maybe next year."  I guess camping is a good once a year thing.  We spent a day at the beach on Assateague Island.  The girls really love the beach.  We played a lot in the sand.  We came to the beach for a day trip our first Saturday of homelessness too.  It's about a three hour drive each way.
our day trip to the beach

Our gym membership ended August 5th.  We tried very hard to make good use of it before then.  It was hard with all of the other things we were busy with, but the girls were very happy to go swimming often.  Jaide got very good at swimming at Grandma and Grandpa's house so she was not at all afraid to jump of the diving board or go down the waterslides into the deep end.  Kiree was much more relaxed in the pool with a floatie on.  On the day we had to take the membership cards back, I took the girls swimming and played one last round of mini golf with them.  We did not keep score and it was much more fun that way.  Jaide only lost her ball once, but we managed to find it.











The same week that our gym membership ended was the week of Jaide and Kiree's soccer camp.  That took up our mornings all that week.  But the girls had a lot of fun.  One of Kiree's friends was in the "petit" class with her.  Jaide's class met at the same time at the other end of the same field and lasted longer than Kiree's.  I managed to go back home a couple of times and get some packing done.  The girls were very excited to get two t-shirts each and their very own soccer balls.  They also liked the shin guards I bought them.  Kiree wanted to wear her's all day.  The coaches were all from England and they had fun accents and said things like "you silly sausages."

Jaide lost some teeth, but she's getting new ones.

August 5th was also the day the storage POD arrived.  We took down our beds and packed them that night. I haven't slept in my own bed since August 5th!  The kids have been sleeping on the floor since August 5th!  We packed up most of the house that Saturday and had the POD picked up on the 11th.  Then there was still some more packing of the stuff for "camping out in the house" as well as church stuff and all the other regular business.  And cleaning, there was a bit of that as well.  I did a lot of driving stuff from our house to the places where people were letting us keep it.  On the 11th we started staying with our friends and on the 12th, we sold our house.  The kids have been in heaven playing with their buddies most of the day, every day of homelessness.  We celebrated Bob's birthday on the 14th with our friends and icecream cake.
Closing on our new house is this Thursday, the POD will come on Friday, and we'll have to unpack everything before we can sleep in our own beds again.   In addition to that fun, there is also a preschool activity, elementary school open house, activity day, and a baseball game with Bob's work (all on Thursday or Friday).  I see more of this in my near future.

6 comments:

Rosie said...

So many cute pictures! And I love the illustration. Good luck with everything!

Cindy said...

Looks like a lot of fun, although really busy. That's a great picture of Jaide jumping off the diving board, and the pictures of the girls with their soccer balls are adorable.

Meg said...

I love that picture of Jaide too. I took it with my cellphone!

Cindy said...

That's a cellphone picture? Impressive.

kathy said...

I like the illustration. Did you draw that? Good luck with everything (all at once). Your post inspired me to make a blog post with lots of pictures, too. But I didn't draw anything.
I love the soccer pictures.

Meg said...

yup, I drew the picture in paint. You ought to check out the parenting with crappy pictures blog.