Friday, September 9, 2011

waterlogged

Alternate post title: What's next?  Locusts?
To say we've had a great deal of rain around here might be an understatement.  Fortunately, our house hasn't had any water infiltration.  Yay!  But who knew that the remnants of a hurricane that hit the gulf coast would cause more problems for us than the hurricane that actually skidded along the east coast?  On Wednesday, tropical storm Lee dumped rain on us.  I was at Kiree's preschool's mandatory three hour parent orientation.  By the time I got out of the building, the parking lot was flooded, right where I was parked.  I think I was probably parked in the lowest spot in the lot.  There was a big drain in front of the spot, but it must have been super clogged.  I waded into the nearly knee high (and remember I'm tall, so that's like 18") water to get to the car, which I then discovered was filled up to the seats with water.  The light weight junk was fa-loating.  I did not try to start the car.  It ended up getting towed to our repair shop, where it sits even now.  The insurance adjuster is going to look at it maybe tomorrow, maybe Monday.  I think this might be the end of the line for the little green Honda.  It was only like 18months from retirement!

We may not have locusts (yet) but we do have quite a few ants marching into our mailbox, to get out of the rain I assume.  Also, a few are getting into the house at the front door.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Crazy. Maybe you should start working on an ark in your back yard.

Jenni said...

Oh no! I'm sorry your car got flooded! That is no fun at all. I agree that it does seem a bit Old Testament on the East Coast right now. I am really hoping for you that the plagues have stopped.