Sunday, April 8, 2012

Birth Story

It looks like the winner of the guess the baby's birth date contest is my doctor.
Thursday morning I had an appointment at labor and delivery to come in at 7:30 to be induced. A little before 7, someone from the hospital called and told us to call them back at 7:30 to see if they were ready for us. Apparently it had been a busy night. I think it was pretty busy the whole time we were at the hospital. I called back at 7:30 and we were given the go ahead to come in. We rounded up our stuff, said goodbye to the girls and headed to the hospital. While the nurse started setting up our room, they let us stop over to visit our friend Danelle who had had her baby two days earlier. She got to stop by to visit us later before they went home that afternoon. I was having some little contractions before they started me on pitocin. I was 2cm and 60% effaced, which is better than I'd been with either of the girls. They finally started me on pitocin at about 10am.
Bob and I did several laps around labor and delivery. It was pretty boring. There were a few spots on the route that made us lose signal, so we had to stick closer to the room and then eventually just stay in the room. I stood and shifted around while we watched episodes of The Office on the little computer. I think I took full advantage of being able to move around freely without leaking amniotic fluid all over (it was very strange not to be, since my water broke first with both the girls). When I got tired of standing I sat in bed and had to have squeezy things on my legs. They were concerned both about me clotting and bleeding. I'd been off my heparin for about 24hrs when I came in. I'd never had the squeezy things before, not even when I had outpatient surgery a couple years ago.
They gradually upped the pitocin as time went on and the contractions increased and got stronger. When I was at 3, almost 4, the doctor broke my water. I'd heard that that makes your contractions get stronger. I'd never experienced any correlation between water breaking and contractions before. It did make the contractions get stronger this time. I was trying to go without getting an epidural because I really didn't like the epidural I'd had with Kiree at this hospital. The one I'd had with Jaide in Utah was great! With Kiree, my legs went totally numb and I still felt a lot of pain in my back. Around 6pm the contractions were getting really, really painful and I wasn't sure how much longer I could go. It had been a couple of hours since the doctor broke my water. The nurse was pretty sure the baby was coming soon. I started thinking I could feel the baby coming down and like I kinda wanted to push so the nurse called the doctor in. I was ready to be done with it already! The doctor checked me and I was a solid 4! I was so crushed. I didn't think I could handle that much pain indefinitely. I asked for an epidural. They had to send my blood down to the lab before I could get a spot in the anesthesiologist's cue. She was a busy lady just then. In the mean time, the contractions were crazy painful and close together. I discovered that if I pushed during the contractions, they didn't hurt as much. So that's what I did to deal with them, along with trying to breathe. At about 7:30ish, the anesthesiologist came in to give me my epidural. Bob was sent out and he went to call home and got some sandwiches to eat. Once the epidural was in, I felt like I needed to push. One of the nurses checked me and sure enough, I was ready to push. They called Bob in and the doctor. I felt less and less as the drugs kicked in and I didn't care that my legs were getting numb. My legs didn't go totally numb, but I couldn't lift them on my own. I pushed for a little while and then got yet another episiotomy. I watched the baby's birth in a mirror as I did with Kiree (I was with Jaide until the doctor came pushed the mirror out of his way). It was really weird to see the baby's head come out all purple and waxy. The cord was wrapped around his neck twice. The doctor unwrapped the cord and suctioned his nose and mouth. He suddenly came to life and the rest of him came out. They stuck him on my belly which was pretty close to my face at that point. I held him there for bit and Bob got to cut the umbilical cord. It took a while for them to clean me and the baby up. I watched the placenta come out but didn't watch myself get stitched up. The baby cried and cried and tried to eat his fingers. My epidural was still on and my legs got a bit more numb (and my abs too), finally the nurse turned it off. Finally I got to nurse the baby. We decided that since he looked like a Luke and since the girls have been calling him Luke for a couple of months now that we'd name him Luke (Lukas Wayne for long). He shares a middle name with his paternal Grandpa and his Daddy.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Highlights I forgot to mention- wifi in labor and delivery and in my hospital room! It was great to see people's well wishes while in labor. Also I got a sandwich instead of salmon to eat after the baby was born and that sandwich was delicious! Labor ended up taking a little less than 10 hours from when they started pitocin, so it keeps getting shorter for me at least (13, 12, slightly less than 10). Weird thing- both the girls were delivered by male doctors, Luke was delivered by a female doctor.