Sunday, December 30, 2012

Thanksgiving and others

I started writing this post the week after Thanksgiving and then never got back to it.  I figured I'd just post it even though it just kind of ends.  The year is almost over and I need to write about the month of December, so no more time for this post!

Thanksgiving was just last week, but it already seems like terribly old news.  I'm going to write about Thanksgiving any way.

Thanksgiving was fun.  It was just the five of us at home this year.  Instead of making way too much food, we made a more reasonable amount.  It was like a little nicer than regular dinner but with way more pies.  We made two pies and had two we bought to support the band and strings at Jaide's school.  That is a lot of pies for five people, one of whom is a baby and didn't really eat any pie, but we did take almost a week to finish them up.  I asked Bob and the girls what foods they wanted and we just made the things people wanted, in small amounts.  I enjoyed "lazy" Thanksgiving.  We did what we felt like doing, like "sleeping in" and having our own "turkey trot" at the elementary school.  I wanted to invite other people to join us, but never got around to it.  Luke got a good nap and Kiree ran through the forest part a second time so that she could "win."  Earlier that week, Kiree joined Jaide's grade at school to run their turkey trot.  We ran the same route on Thanksgiving.

Luke got to eat quite a bit of Thanksgiving dinner. He eats a lot of things these days, but still not wheat.  Wheat and his tummy don't seem to get along yet.  Luke even got to try some pumpkin pie, minus the crust, though he wasn't too impressed with it.  He loves sweet potatoes though, even without marshmallows and crushed pineapple.  We had a chicken instead of a turkey because Bob doesn't like turkey and a chicken is a more appropriate size for our family.  Everybody ate at least a little bit of chicken.  I tried brining it this year. I think it turned out pretty well.

Luke has become mobile this month.  Luke does the army crawl and is starting to pull himself up on things, if he is properly motivated.  Paper is a big motivator for him.  The computer is another one.  Luke also sprouted a tooth recently.  We were at Ikea the Saturday after Thanksgiving and he grabbed a hold of my finger, stuck it in his mouth and bit me.  That's when I discovered the little tooth.

We did some shopping, but not too much.  I went to Michael's Thanksgiving night as I have the last few years.  I always go Thanksgiving night because they always have a 30% off coupon on top of good sale prices that night and the next morning.  I don't get up early to shop.  There has started to be more and more people shopping Thanksgiving night.  There was a long line of people waiting to get into Target, stretching past the Michael's by the time I left.

We did end up at Target on black Friday.  Their portrait studio had a black Friday deal.  I scheduled our appointment for what I thought would be a good time for Luke- right after his morning nap.  Well, he didn't take his morning nap and then we had to wait 40 minutes to get in to take our pictures.  I hadn't planned on dressing up, but the girls said they wanted to.  I wore a dress that didn't have nursing access, so Luke was pretty grumpy by picture time.  At least we got a few pictures of him.  I needed to find a sweater for me and something for Luke before we took pictures.  It took a little digging around, but I found a cute red sweater on the clearance racks and I got Luke a cute little sweater vest.  I bought Luke a cute little black jacket first, but then didn't like the way it looked on him (a little too big).  The vest was actually a bigger size than the jacket, but fit him better,  funny how that works.

We set up the Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving.  The girls were very excited about it.  We put ornaments up the next day.  I didn't really feel like doing it, but the girls wanted to, so I let them.  Then I joined in too.  We've been slowly putting up Christmas stuff since then.  I always realize when I get the Christmas stuff out that there's stuff I'd like to go get.  I guess that would be one pro of putting up the Christmas stuff on or before Thanksgiving, then I'd know what else I'd like to get from the craft store before the big sale.  The greenery garland I've had for a few years is shedding all over and falling apart.  Maybe I should make a list for next Thanksgiving or the after Christmas sale.  Last year I did get some cute glittery ornaments deeply discounted after Christmas.  The girls really liked them.  One of the sets had ties on them that were knotted close to the bottom with long loose ends at the top.  It's like they were made in some shop in rural China by people who had no clue what they were for or why it would matter where the knot in the hanger was made.

No comments: