Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Busy Week

It's getting to be the end of the school year so there are going to be a lot of busy weeks, but here is the story of last week.  Last week was teacher appreciation week.  No one had stepped up to head up the committee so it kind of became a PTA group effort.  I suggested the theme which was through the ages (each day was a different decade).  I spent a bit of time making a banner each day with a phrase from each decade.  It was fun to see how it all came together and the excitement and enthusiasm a lot of people had for it.  They invited the students and staff to dress up for each day.  I didn't get a picture of Jaide in her tie dyed shirt for 60s day, but I got one of the other days (not the 2000s though, everybody just wore current clothes since it wasn't long ago enough yet).  
70s day.  A thriftstore find.  It still had an ancient paper tag on it and a couple decades of dust before I hand washed it.

Monday was the mothers, grandmothers, (etc) tea at Kiree's preschool.  We got to see what they've been working on, got a little gift, and had cookies.  The kids also sang some songs for us.  
Tuesday someone watched Kiree and Luke so I could go in and help out at school.  For teacher appreciation week, the PTA usually has a meal for the teachers and staff each day.  On Tuesday I helped out with the tail end of lunch and cleaning up.  I was thanked so many times by the teachers and staff, I felt so good for the rest of the day!  You don't hear thank you very often when you're at home with kids all day.  
Kiree wanted to dress up too and finally got to for 80s day

checking out the age of trees
stinging Luke
Wednesday Kiree had a field trip to the nature center.  Luke and I came along (I have to bring and stay with Kiree on preschool fieldtrips).  We stopped by our friend's house on the way since they live near there and I needed to pick up some produce we had bulk ordered.  She was so kind as to loan me her baby carrier so I could get Luke to nap while we were there.  Unfortunately the trip was right during nap time.  He did sleep for a little while which was good because he was cranky!  

90s day!  I was sad I couldn't come in to help this day.
Thursday was activity day.  I also made some food for the lunch at school that day.  We had a mother/daughter activity that night.  The girls wanted to compete with their moms (or have a water balloon fight, or a three legged race- they were overruled on those) so we decided to do some minute to win it type games.  One of my co-leaders organized all of the games and they were very funny!  I used my handy dandy silhouette to cut out paper pieces to make mini photo albums out of.  I also brought some funny props to use for a "photo booth" to take pictures of the moms and girls.  I didn't have time to put together the background I had been planning on, so I drew a little picture on the chalkboard.  I think everyone had a good time.  Several of the girls volunteered to bring treats and we ended up with a ton!  

The huge glasses were a huge hit.  Great clearance find at Michaels.
Friday Bob took the day off and we worked around the house (yard work) and I went to school in the afternoon to help out with the last day of teacher appreciation week.  I brought in brownies and caramel corn.  It was dessert day (and tons of leftover lunch too!).  Bob and Luke ended up coming in at the end to have some of the leftover lunch food.  One of the other moms ended up taking a large amount of food to the local food pantry.  
Saturday we spent some time cleaning up our neglected house (inside).  We also attended an open house for a lovely young lady who used to babysit the girls and had dinner at a friends house.  


Just some of the desserts

Make your own yogurt parfaits in addition to dessert


Each day there were trivia questions from the decade and prizes!

















3 comments:

Rosie said...

I love the 80s picture!

I'm so glad you blog, Meg. It's great to hear about what goes on and to see the fun pictures. So, thanks!

Cindy said...

Yeah, the 80s picture is my favorite too. Looks like fun!

Meg said...

Thanks guys! I'm glad to know you're reading it. I like the 80s picture too. It turned out really well.